Friday, February 22, 2013

In my English Urban Garden

Urban Gardening...is one of my new favourite hobbies. And as spring is approaching I need to start thinking about this years garden. Last spring I decided to set myself a challenge, this challenge was to create my own garden in the city. The coined term for this now is 'Urban Gardening'.
I am lucky enough to have a balcony so in the spring I decided to get planting. My inspiration for this idea was purely sparked by going into the local 'Tiger' shop (cheap £ shop type thing-Danish style) and seeing the seeds and gardening stuff. Which just made me want to try. Typically being a student this prevented me from buying actual gardening equipment so then I knew I would just have to use what I had around me. This made it a lot more fun, not only was the challenge to turn my not so green fingers green, but also use totally un-garden equipment to do it.

So basically every-time I saw some type of container with a depth, I would collect it. It just so happens there's a lot of random useful crap around. People throw away some truly brilliant stuff.

First things first, what to plant first, how to start... find some soil. I used egg cartons and the boxes you find in supermarkets for grapes and mushrooms to create little greenhouses to start the little seeds lives. I just simply filled the bottom with soil, water slightly and poked a seed in with my fingers. After either a few days or a week these seedling began to grow, I then moved them into more appropriate housing. (bigger pots)
Tip: Painting the bottom parts of see
through containers, prevent the roots
from being burnt

And then just basically watered them when I remembered and spent any free time I had just moving things from pot to pot and coming up with new contraptions to make the most out of my space, whilst still keeping a balcony to be able to enjoy without plants being everywhere. I learnt so much from this experimental experience. I saw seedlings I had planted at the same time grow at different rates due solely to where I placed them. I knew sunlight makes a difference, but I was shocked at just how much.

I would also like to share with you my mutant carrot army, who tasted absolutely amazing, despite spending ages washing the dirt out of their little legs. I grew them in old buckets I found outside a hotel. I know growing vegetables needs space, but this is one thing I did not have so I chucked a bunch of carrot seeds in a bucket loaded with soil and hoped for the best. (tip: don't forget to punch holes at the bottom of any hole-less container so the roots don't rot.)






So what did I end up growing, I can make two lists here: successful and not successful.


Lets start with successful;


  • Radishes- (You can actually call me radish queen I feel like a radish expert)
  • Tomatoes
  • Bell Peppers
  • Carrots (cute small and mutated army, just how I like them)
  • Parsley
  • Variety of Lettuces
  • Runner Beans
  • Strawberries 
  • herbs (except basil and rosemary, epic fail)
Not so successful, but its the attempt that counts
  • Sunflower (not taking responsibiliy for this one)
  • Lemon cucumbers
  • Gooseberry tree
As a proud city garden mummy, here's my video of my first pick of the season enjoy and get gardening. (no space is too small, unless you don't even have a window):




Radishes getting ready 
Salad anyone?

Radishes getting ready for the outside world
In case you didn't guess-Strawberries
Beans
New purpose for old bottles
Getting there
Sunflower
Tomatoes, took forever to redden
Tip: pick em and leave them in the window sill
Baby Sunflower

My first Radish, it will always be my favourite. 

No comments:

Post a Comment